Know where your energy is used


Undertake an audit of common property energy usage, either by:

  • Contracting a third-party organisation to undertake a formal energy audit; or
  • Walking around and getting to know your building – identifying what uses energy; during what hours; and how much is used

For medium-high rise buildings we recommend a formal energy audit.

This gives you the starting point to systematically work through every component, once you know how much energy it consumes and what it’s costing you to run, and to evaluate and plan for the options available for each of them.

Typical energy uses for common property include:

  • central cold water storage, including water pumps
  • centralised hot water systems, including circulation pumps
  • garage doors
  • gymnasiums
  • heating, ventilation & air-conditioning (HVAC) – apartment exhaust fans, car park supply & exhaust fans, cooling towers, chillers
  • lifts - lighting, controllers, and motors
  • lighting - building exterior, lobbies, fire stairs, access stairs, hallways, car parks, gyms, indoor & outdoor pools, sauna, spa
  • pools & spas, including water heating and filtration pumps
  • saunas

Every building is different. These are just a few examples of the breakdown of common property electricity use for a mix of buildings.

39 units; 4 storeys; garbage room extractor fans; carpark ventilation fan; common areas & carpark fluorescent lighting
9 residential levels; ground floor commercial; underground carpark
120 units; 6 shops; 15 residential levels; 7 parking levels; bathroom, kitchen, laundry & garbage room extractor fans; carpark exhaust fan, water lift & pressure pumps; 2 lifts; outdoor pool; central gas hot water system
174 units; 3 levels of offices; 6 parking levels; 26 residential levels; cooling tower, pumps & fans; 2 lifts; heated pool, spa, sauna & steam room; gymnasium


Last Updated: 
Mon 24/09/2012

Share this page: