Appliances can account for up to 30 per cent of your home energy use.
Explore these tips to reduce your consumption.
- Look for the Energy Rating label when purchasing appliances
- Buy the right sized appliance to suit your needs.
A large model with the same star rating as a smaller model uses more energy and generates more greenhouse gas
- Turn your appliances off at the power point when not in use
- Turn off mobile phone and other chargers
They use power even if they're not connected to your phone or equipment
- When you go on holidays, switch off all appliances at the wall that don't need to be on.
- Use your appliances efficiently (including buying tips)
If you’re on a time of use tariff (electricity cost varies with the time of day) consider shifting some of your usage out of Peak periods (working weekdays from 2pm to 8pm) to less expensive Shoulder and Off Peak periods.